Saturday, November 8, 2008

Creative Play

I love to hear the sound of laughter in our house!

Abi and Brandon are at such a fun age right now, as their capacity for truly creative play is overflowing! Last night, I heard squealing from the living room, followed by, "It's okay, Brother, it doesn't hurt too bad." Curiosity got the best of me, because she usually screams like she's under-going an un-medicated amputation if he even brushes up against her. So, I peeked around the corner and saw Abi stretched out, making a bridge with her body between the chair and ottoman. Brandon was climbing across the "bidge," and they were both squealing with delight. Abi told me there was a "huge water fountain" (aka waterfall) underneath her!

Abi enjoys playing restaurant lately, too. She had me make her some paper money and receipts to use as she served customers in her restaurant. The menus are full of fare she has in her plastic food box, and she does a great job of bringing refills and lots of napkins -- she's learned what she sees, for sure. Restaurants generally lose money on my diet coke order, and I think a tree dies every time we eat out at a place with paper napkins (Do we eat anywhere else??) Ha!

I love watching their creative play -- it gives me such a raw glimpse into their schemas of the world. So many things are revealed that I might not otherwise know about my kiddos. And it reminds me of my childhood, when I thought the made-up lyrics to my songs were platinum bound and my pillow-stuffed belly was sure to produce the next world leader. Maybe the latter will be true, but certainly not the first. :o)

No comments: