Monday, October 6, 2008

The Birds and the Bees ...

are buzzing around our house!

Today, we were all in a public bathroom right before Abi's gymnastics lesson, and Brandon AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE says, "How come she doesn't have weenie, Mommy?", pointing at Abi. I said in a whisper, knowing all the moms in the waiting area on the other side of the door were listening by this time, "Well, Brandon, God makes girls and boys differently, and He doesn't give girls weenies." Thinking this topic was closed, Abi then adds, "If God is a boy, does He have a weenie, Mommy?" -- again, as LOUDLY as possible! I said, "I don't know, Abi, I don't know what any part of God looks like." Seriously!
I've always believed in having an open relationship and ongoing conversations about the "birds and the bees" with my children -- I just didn't expect that it would be in full swing quite yet. :o)

A few weeks ago, Abi and I were driving past the hospital where Camryn was born, and it was dark. The light in the room where Camryn was born was the only one on, and I said to Abi, "The room with the light on up there is the room Camryn was born in." She was suitably impressed and asked which room the son of a friend had been born in. I said, "Well, you can't see that room from the outside (this is where I should've stopped!) because Mrs. D had her tummy cut to get her baby out, remember, and they do that in a special room." As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I knew I'd messed up! Abi is a pretty logical kid and the if/then's started churning in her head! I could see it coming like a freight train. She said, "If they didn't cut Camryn out of your tummy, how did she get out then?" (note: the very accusatory tone in this question!) So, I thought to myself, "This is where the rubber meets the road -- do I 'weenie' out (pun intended) or do I do what I've always said I'd do in these situations. So, I took a deep breath, and described the extra hole between her pee pee and poo poo holes -- and, then, of course, she needed a NAME for it! Really! She now has a really, really neat word to use when coming up with words that start with the letter v. **SIGH**

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm sad I wasn't one of those moms in the waiting area at gymnastics today! :)

Anonymous said...

haha! I've always called Jenna's private parts by the medical term, and I know lots of other mothers do. :) I'm still laughing about the weenie thing...