Sunday, April 5, 2009

Puppy Love

"Your neck is warm, Mommy," says Abi as she was snuggled up close to me a few nights ago. "His neck is warm, too," she says.
"Whose? Daddy's?" I ask naively.
"No, Jake's, Mommy. It's warm when I kiss it."
"Who the hell is Jake," I think to myself. "And what is the most painful way for me to kill him?"
"Who is Jake, Abi, and why do you kiss him?"
"Jake at kids' day," said with roll of eyes and exasperated tone. "I like to chase him around saying, 'Jakie, Jakie' until I catch him, and then I kiss his neck."

So, while I was incredibly relieved that Jake was not a pervert pedophile that I would be forced to kill with my bare hands, I was slightly less relieved that my daughter is chasing a boy and kissing him ... that she has her first crush.

It brought back memories of my first crush, also at age 4. His nickname was "Shorty," and he was the older brother of a friend at daycare. In the summer when he was out of school, he came to the daycare with Paula. I remember wanting him to play with me and being horribly embarrassed when Maxine made me eat lunch at a table with Shorty without my shirt on because I'd gotten filthy playing in the mud puddles under the swings.

So, I think I'll let "Jakie" live, but the next one might not be so fortunate.

8 comments:

Matt said...

You might let Jake live, but he better not cross my path...

Cori said...

That's hilarious! I got married when I was 6! Emma had a "boyfriend" in pre-k, but hates boys right now..

Orianna Black said...

that is so funny!

Valerie said...

OK if that was my little Jacob she was kissing, he soooo cant help it that he is adorable. You can hold off killing him for a while. Hopefully he will run from girls who chase him for at least another 20 years. lol

Mischelle Coston said...

Hey, Valerie,
I asked her if it was "Jake E." and she said that it was "the other Jake." I don't guess I know the "other Jake," but maybe I should. :o)
So, you can be relieved that the girls (at least mine) aren't slobbering on your little man yet.

Erin said...

Love it! And I TOTALLY feel your pain. Evan and Peyton in the closet this summer about killed me!!

Sherry Drennan said...

Oh my goodness, you made me laugh out loud! I love it! Please come talk to me before you or Dr. Nick think about killing one of the Drennan boys....I'll take care of them. hehe :0)

Fryar Family said...

Oh, Mischelle.... you have never forgot Shorty and the bare breasted lunch you had with him.... {:o)

First, you tell Abi she can't chase Jakie anymore - never mind - I will tell her tomorrow. He he hhhheee

Second, It has only begun...

Third, I believe I will kill the first guys who doesn't run, myself.