Thursday, January 22, 2009

Be Still My Heart ...

A phrase generally reserved for when my children do something so sweet that I can hardly stand it. However, this time, it's what I'm saying a full 10 minutes after being scared half out of my mind -- heart still pounding! I opened the door to the pantry where we keep our trash can, intending only to throw something away, when I was startled to see someone staring back at me. It's in that split second it takes my brain to recognize who's staring back at me that I must fight the urge to scream (lost!) and the urge to pee my pants (won this one, thank goodness!)
Abi was in the pantry -- sorting through the trash, I believe, thanks to that hoarding gene her father passed down to her. She immediately ran, crying from the room. I think she was more scared by me than I by her, if that's possible.
I have laughed non-stop since then -- I have my "giggle box turned upside down," in the words of my mother. What a great feeling!
It reminds me of a time in college when I hid around a corner by Nick's dorm room and waited for him to come out of the bathroom. I did nothing other than say a quiet, "Boo!" when he rounded the corner. I have never seen a funnier expression or dance! It still cracks me up when I think about it!

1 comment:

Andi said...

But is Abi over it now?! lol I've had that experience.